Episodes One and Two REDUX & Survival Mode Update13.12.2018.
We’ve just released the completely overhauled versions of Episodes One and Two. This reflects over a year of effort to improve our Story Mode experience based on player feedback, and to strengthen the technical foundation of our game in anticipation of the remaining three episodes to complete WINTERMUTE, which will be unlocked as they are completed.
The “Redux” represents thousands of fixes and improvements, as well as entirely new content. The number of changes are too numerous to list here. Generally, the changes are along the following themes:
• Narrative Presentation: New dialogue mode; all story is now experienced in first-person; all dialogue is fully voiced and animated. All cinematic moments have been redone.
• Narrative Content: All dialogue has been re-written and re-recorded. While the high-level story arc of Episodes One and Two remains the same, many of the supporting details have changed. We’ve introduced new plot elements, new locations, a new introduction, and overall a general layer of presentation polish on narrative content.
• Mission Structure: We’ve opened up the mission structure; previously there were several plot elements or side mission content (ex. Jeremiah’s Survival School) missions that were prerequisites to progressing in the story. As much as possible, while maintaining a logical story flow, we’ve made the mission structure more flexible. Side content is properly optional now and can be accessed over time and in between key narrative moments.
• Gameplay Improvements: In addition to opening up the structure somewhat, we’ve also retuned many of the mission objectives to provide the right amount of challenge. We’ve worked to reduce the amount of backtracking that is required to complete missions (while maintaining the right amount of open-world exploration to keep things interesting). We’ve completely overhauled the Bear Hunt mission structure, integrating it more fully into Episode Two, adding new Bear Spear gameplay, and adding climactic new encounter to complete that story. We’ve also made improvements to how we present mission information to the player. And finally, we’ve retuned the Survival “needs” per Story Experiene (Green, Capable, Hardened) and increased the amount of ammunition (Rifle, Distress Pistol) available in the world.
We hope you enjoy the “Redux” versions of Episodes One and Two. Please note that “Predux” (i.e. the previous version of the episodes) story saves are not compatible with Redux. If you have previously completed Episodes One and Two and you have no interest in experiencing the Redux versions, you will still be able to progress into Episode Three once it is unlocked in 2019.
DECEMBER SURVIVAL MODE UPDATE
The “Redux” game update includes some improvements to the game’s Survival Mode, notably:
• New Craftable Item: Rabbitskin Hat. This completes the suite of craftable clothing options in the game.
• New Health Buff: Well Fed. If you avoid Starvation for 72 hours, you will get a buff to Condition and Carrying Capacity. The 72-hour timer gets reset every time you begin to Starve.
• New Challenge: Archivist. Scour Great Bear to collect the last memories contained in several Aurora-animated computers.
Please note that the Bear Spear is currently a Story-mode only tool. It will be added to Survival Mode in a future update.
As part of the Redux overhaul, we’ve also made the following changes to the User Interface:
• Revised the HUD condition indicators. The game also now defaults to an “Always On” HUD configuration, which can be changed in the Display settings.
• Improved the Fire/Stove interaction interface, to clarify Firestarting, Fuel-Adding, Cooking, and Water production activities. This replaces the “direct placement” action from the Radial as the default, primary Fire/Stove interaction type, although we have also maintained the radial placement system for those who wish to use it.
• General improvements to the Map, Objectives, and Knowledge areas of the Journal (for Story mode only).
• Added new Load screens with gameplay and world information.
…in addition to the dozens of general improvements listed in our patch notes.